- 2018-present: PhD student in Evolutionary Biology, Research group of Prof. Axel Meyer, University of Konstanz, Germany
- 2015 - 2018: Master of Science in Biology at the University Konstanz, Germany
- 2012 - 2015: Bachelor of Science in Biology at the University Konstanz, Germany
Awards and Grants:
- 2018, International Max-Planck Research School Student Grant (18203PG): "Key innovations in cichlids: Determination of the transcriptional mechanisms underlying the fusion of lower pharyngeal jaws". 3000€
- 111th Meeting of the German Zoological Society, Greifswald, Germany, September 2018. Karagic N, Torres-Dowdall J, Härer A and Meyer A: "How ontogeny and plasticity contribute to adaptation: Changes in the visual system of Nicaraguan Midas cichlids"
- Cichlid Science Meeting, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2017. Karagic N, Torres-Dowdall J, Härer A and Meyer A: "Consequences of dark-rearing on opsin gene expression and visual sensitivity in a Nicaraguan Midas cichlid"
- Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE)
- Deutsche Zoologische Gesellschaft (DZG)
1. Torres-Dowdall J, Pierotti MER, Härer A, Karagic N, Woltering J, Henning F, Elmer KR and Meyer A (2017): Rapid and parallel adaptive evolution of the visual system of Neotropical Midas cichlid fishes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 34(10): 2469-2485.
2. Karagic N, Härer A, Meyer A and Torres-Dowdall J (2018): Heterochronic opsin expression due to early light deprivation results in drastically shifted visual sensitivity in a cichlid fish: Possible role of thyroid hormone signaling. Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution, DOI: 10.1002/jez.b.22806
3. Torres-Dowdall J, Karagic N, Plath M and Riesch R (2018): Evolution in caves: selection from darkness causes spinal deformities in teleost fishes. Biology Letters, DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2018.0197