- 2018-present: PhD student in Evolutionary Biology, Research group of Prof. Axel Meyer, University of Konstanz, Germany
- 2015 - 2018: Master of Science in Biology at the University Konstanz, Germany
- 2012 - 2015: Bachelor of Science in Biology at the University Konstanz, Germany
Awards and Grants:
- 2018, International Max-Planck Research School Student Grant (18203PG): "Key innovations in cichlids: Determination of the transcriptional mechanisms underlying the fusion of lower pharyngeal jaws". 3000€
- 111th Meeting of the German Zoological Society, Greifswald, Germany, September 2018. Karagic N, Torres-Dowdall J, Härer A and Meyer A: "How ontogeny and plasticity contribute to adaptation: Changes in the visual system of Nicaraguan Midas cichlids"
- Evolution 2019, Providence, RI, USA, June 2019. Karagic N, Schneider R, Meyer A & Hulsey CD: "Exploiting serial homology: Novel genes involved in tooth development and differentiation in cichlid fishes". www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNnTTwNzQgE
- Cichlid Science Meeting, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2017. Karagic N, Torres-Dowdall J, Härer A and Meyer A: "Consequences of dark-rearing on opsin gene expression and visual sensitivity in a Nicaraguan Midas cichlid"
- Annual Meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, Austin, TX, USA, January 2020. Karagic N, Meyer A and Hulsey CD: "Plasticity of vertebrate dentition"
- Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE)
- Deutsche Zoologische Gesellschaft (DZG)
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB)
7. Karagic N, Schneider RF, Meyer A, and Hulsey CD (2020). A genomic cluster with novel and conserved genes is associated with cichlid dental developmental convergence. Molecular Biology and Evolution, msaa153, https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msaa153.
6. Karagic N, Meyer A, and Hulsey CD (2020). Phenotypic plasticity in vertebrate dentitions. Integrative and Comparative Biology, icaa077, https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/icaa077
5. Hulsey CD, Cohen KE, Johanson Z, Karagic N, Meyer A, Miller CT, Sadier A, Summers AP, and Fraser GJ (2020). Grand challenges in comparative tooth biology. Integrative and Comparative Biology, icaa038, https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/icaa038
4. Härer A, Karagic N, Meyer A and Torres-Dowdall J (2019). Reverting ontogeny: rapid phenotypic plasticity of color vision in cichlid fish. Royal Society Open Science, DOI: 10.1098/rsos.190841
3. Torres-Dowdall J, Karagic N, Plath M and Riesch R (2018). Evolution in caves: selection from darkness causes spinal deformities in teleost fishes. Biology Letters, DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2018.0197
2. Karagic N, Härer A, Meyer A and Torres-Dowdall J (2018). Heterochronic opsin expression due to early light deprivation results in drastically shifted visual sensitivity in a cichlid fish: Possible role of thyroid hormone signaling". Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution, DOI: 10.1002/jez.b.22806
1. Torres-Dowdall J, Pierotti MER, Härer A, Karagic N, Woltering J, Henning F, Elmer KR and Meyer A (2017). Rapid and parallel adaptive evolution of the visual system of Neotropical Midas cichlid fishes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 34(10): 2469-2485.